5 of the Best Foods for Muscle Support with Richard Torrez Jr.
As a super heavyweight boxer fighting for a spot at the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, muscle support is a pretty big deal for me. Over the years, I’ve developed a list of various foods that I consume for muscle support. Generally, they are snacks or meals that have both lean protein and carbohydrates. The meals and snacks below are five of the best foods that I rely on for muscle support…and they actually taste good!
5 Best Foods for Muscle Support
- Chicken wrap: Baked chicken, lettuce, a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, and a whole wheat tortilla
- Broiled salmon or chicken: Broiled protein with brown rice or a baked potato
- Hamburger: Low-fat ground beef hamburger on a whole wheat bun
- Sandwich: Peanut butter and banana on whole wheat toast
- Shrimp burrito: Add black beans, a sprinkle of cheese, avocado, low-fat sour cream, and wrap it all in a whole wheat tortilla
5 Best Snacks for Muscle Support
- Low-fat chocolate milk
- Trail mix
- Bananas with peanut butter
- Greek yogurt with strawberries
- Apple sauce with cinnamon
What is food-first nutrition?
Every athlete wants to reach their peak performance, which often means pushing harder and longer in training and in competition. In the quest to reach their maximum potential, many athletes know that good nutrition is critical, but they may also look to the latest supplements and trendy diet regimens to give them that extra boost.
Some athletes, on the other hand, have found that a food-first approach is all they need to achieve peak performance. While some athletes may need to supplement their dietary intake because of a medical condition, many athletes can properly fuel their bodies and meet all their bodies’ needs with the right food.
In the Food-First Nutrition series, Olympians, Paralympians, and elite athletes share how they maintain the strength and energy they need to compete at the highest levels of sport through a food first approach. For more information on the best foods for athletes, check out the TrueSport Nutrition Guide.
About Richard Torrez Jr.
Richard Torrez Jr. is a Team USA super heavyweight boxer who took first place at the 2017 and 2018 Elite National Championships. He also took first at the 2013 and 2014 Junior National Championships and at the 2015 Youth National Championship. Most recently, he took third at the Pan American Games Qualifier in 2019. Richard is also a TrueSport Ambassador.