5 of the Best Foods for Muscle Support with Richard Torrez Jr.
As a super heavyweight boxer fighting for a spot at the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, muscle support is a pretty big deal for me. Over the years, I’ve developed a list of various foods that I consume for muscle support. Generally, they are snacks or meals that have both lean protein and carbohydrates. The meals and snacks below are five of the best foods that I rely on for muscle support…and they actually taste good!
5 Best Foods for Muscle Support
- Chicken Wrap: Baked chicken, lettuce, a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, and a whole wheat tortilla
- Broiled salmon or chicken: Broiled protein with brown rice or a baked potato
- Hamburger: Low-fat ground beef hamburger on a whole wheat bun
- Sandwich: Peanut butter and banana on a whole wheat bun
- Shrimp burrito: Add black beans, a sprinkle of cheese, avocado, low-fat sour cream, and wrap it all in a whole wheat tortilla
5 Best Snacks for Muscle Support
- Low-fat chocolate milk
- Trail mix
- Bananas with peanut butter
- Greek yogurt with strawberries
- Apple sauce with cinnamon
THE SCIENCE: Protein has always been a particularly popular nutrient with athletes because of its role in building and maintaining muscles. Indeed, athletes need to consume a wide variety of high-quality protein foods in their diets. However, while protein is necessary for rebuilding and repairing muscles, it is not the primary fuel, and consuming more protein than what the body can use is not going to give athletes larger and stronger muscles.
The following are healthy ways to build muscle:
- Follow a strength training program that challenges muscles.
- Add 500 to 1,000 more calories each day to current dietary intake, to allow the body to use protein already present in the diet for muscle growth and not be broken down to fuel activity.
- Eat several small meals that include about 30 grams of protein or about 0.3 grams of protein/kilogram throughout the day will support training and muscle-building.
About Richard Torrez Jr.
Richard Torrez Jr. is a Team USA super heavyweight boxer who took first place at the 2017 and 2018 Elite National Championships. He also took first at the 2013 and 2014 Junior National Championships and at the 2015 Youth National Championship. Most recently, he took third at the Pan American Games Qualifier in 2019. Richard is also a TrueSport Ambassador.