After more than twelve years at the forefront of the anti-doping movement and the successful implementation of Game Plan 2012, the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) reaffirms its well-established mission on behalf of clean athletes through the development of Game Plan 2016 – USADA’s four-year strategic plan which begins in 2013 and guides us through 2016.
Over the past four years under Game Plan 2012, USADA brought the total number of tests collected and results managed since inception to more than 90,000, the investment allocated to advancing the science of anti-doping through research to approximately $13 million, and the number of athletes, educators, parents, coaches, and kids receiving inspiring and empowering message of clean sport to more than 140,000.
Under Game Plan 2012, USADA also continued to advance both leadership and programming in the areas of anti-doping science, technology, management, intelligence, and education. With major leaps forward in all areas, many robust innovations have been developed to propel us to even greater success for clean sport over the next four-year period, to mention a few:
- Athlete Express
- Athlete’s Advantage
- Paperless doping control processing
True Sport Ideals
- “What Sport Means in America” research
- True Sport™ Initiative
Scientific Advancements and Research Contributions
- Blood and urine longitudinal testing and analysis
- Perceptual deterrence modeling
- Dietary supplement education and advocacy, including Supplement 411™
- Annual international anti-doping science symposium
- Simon (anti-doping management system)
- DCO Online
- DCO Advantage
True Sport as an ideal is defined as fair play, respect for one’s competitor and for oneself, and respect for the fundamental spirit of healthy competition.
An initiative developed and powered by USADA as a key focus of Game Plan 2012, True Sport™ will take a central role in Game Plan 2016 as well, and into the foreseeable future, offering a long-term positive solution to sport’s challenges, and advancing a culture of sport that promotes ethical and clean competition. As a complement to USADA’s advancements in testing, results management, research, and education, True Sport™ provides an action-oriented platform to address the antecedents to doping and other unethical sport behaviors, and aims to equip parents, coaches, and youth to cultivate, champion, and uphold sportsmanship and the positive life lessons that sport teaches.
Importantly, through our commitment to clean athletes and strategies developed under Game Plan 2012, USADA was able to uncover and bring to justice a widespread conspiracy of doping in the sport of cycling. Exposing the doping culture in cycling was the result of unwavering mission, focus, and deep allegiance to the clean athletes and those who care about sport, who expect and deserve nothing less.
It is with this same dedication to the future of sport and the next generations of athletes that USADA has crafted the strategic road map for the next four years, Game Plan 2016. With collective internal development, as well as external stakeholder input, Game Plan 2016 provides the thoughtful course that will direct our annual operational goals for 2013 – 2016, and ultimately the manifestation of our mission and realization of the vision for sport played honorably. We thank everyone who participated in this process and look forward to the rewarding results that this plan will help us achieve throughout.
To be the guardian of the values and life lessons learned through true sport
USADA upholds the principles of True Sport, sport that grows from the idea that athletes can compete fairly; with nothing but their motivation, their skill, their sweat, and their desire to drive them. And in doing so, they reveal truth in sport and in life.
Preserve the Integrity of Competition
We preserve the value and integrity of athletic competition through just initiatives that prevent, deter, and detect violations of true sport.
Inspire True Sport
We inspire present and future generations of U.S. athletes through initiatives that impart the core principles of true sport – fair play, respect for one’s competitor, and respect for the fundamental fairness of competition.
Protect the Rights of U.S. Athletes
We protect the right of U.S. Olympic and Paralympic athletes to compete healthy and clean – to achieve their own personal victories as a result of unwavering commitment and hard work – to be celebrated as true heroes.
We hold ourselves to the same high standards exhibited by athletes who fully embrace true sport. With that consideration, we commit to the following core values to guide our decisions and behaviors:
We employ the highest ethical standard, demonstrating honesty and fairness in every action that we take.
We honor the rights and beliefs of our fellow team members, stakeholders, customers, and community; we treat others with the highest degree of dignity, equality, and trust.
We promote and support a diverse, yet unified team; we work together cooperatively to achieve our mission.
We hold ourselves accountable for individual and team performance; we “own” our decisions and actions; we honor commitments; we strive to achieve excellence in everything we do.
We are innovative and bold in delivering value to our fellow team members, stakeholders, customers, and community; we have the courage to accept risk and strive for high goals in fulfilling our mission, while conducting our business in a responsible manner.
Strategic Imperatives for Game Plan 2016
1. Organizational Excellence
Imperative 1 – Organizational Excellence
Enhance operational performance and processes to ensure that the stakeholder experience is productive, positive, and mission-focused
By 2016, USADA’s spirit of transparency and exceptional service pervades our working relationship with our stakeholders. Our commitment to excellence and professionalism is steadfast and focused on ensuring the best experience for the athlete as well as other stakeholders.
Strategy 1 – External Collaboration
- Deliver exceptional service to athletes, coaches, USOC, NGBs, ONDCP, and other external stakeholders
- Provide comprehensive resources that will positively impact present and future generations of athletes and stakeholders
- Collaborate with global anti-doping partners in an effort to advance significant
- Anti-doping initiatives to effectively detect and deter doping
- Encourage industry standards and best practices, and operate in compliance with the WADA Code and International Standards
Strategy 2 – Internal Collaboration
- Develop and maintain internal systems and processes that result in the delivery of consistent, high quality services which fully meet our stakeholder expectations
- Provide training to all staff based on principles and practices in a way that supports our vision, mission, and core values
- Strengthen communication and information sharing between departments in order to support our understanding of the impact and quality of our work product on stakeholders
Imperative 2 – Leadership
Be a strong and influential partner and voice in the anti-doping community
By 2016, USADA will be recognized as a steward for true sport. Athletes will recognize the positive role USADA has played in preserving the value and integrity of competition through the successful implementation of anti-doping initiatives and cutting-edge science. USADA staff will be proud of their role in advancing the organization’s mission and their sense of accountability for personal performance.
Strategy 1 – Empower coaches, parents, and other key influencers to inspire young athletes by embracing the positive life lessons that are learned through True Sport
- Build public awareness for USADA as the most respected and most recognized resource for the preservation, inspiration, and protection of true sport
- Develop a grass-root network of like-minded individuals and groups that can help champion the messages of True Sport
- Establish an infrastructure through partnerships that will allow for the sustainment of True Sport
Strategy 2 – Strengthen our relationships with other anti-doping organizations, government and law enforcement agencies, and other public and private organizations to support our efforts to ensure clean and healthy competition
- Work with sport organizations and government and law enforcement representatives to establish USADA as the premier anti-doping authority
- Through fruitful partnerships, contribute to the passage of effective anti-doping legislation which supports our efforts to ensure clean competition
- Create a ripple effect throughout sport organizations and competition organizers, including and beyond NGBs, through which the majority embrace and implement policies regarding anti-doping, as well as prevention education
Strategy 3 – Enhance and safeguard USADA’s brand, products, and services
- Ensure the USADA brand identity is professional, sophisticated, and universally recognized
- Leverage opportunities that promote the branding and messaging of True Sport
- Protect USADA’s intellectual property while offering collaboration opportunities
Strategy 4 – Foster internal leadership capacity at all levels of USADA
- Actively advance a culture of self-governance that gives both a voice and necessitates accountability from everyone at every level
- Articulate and foster an intentional organization-wide culture that supports Game Plan 2016 and connects each individual’s contribution to the collective goals
Imperative 3 – Innovation
Goal Statement: Foster an environment that promotes innovation and excellence to deliver value and support our mission
Aspiration: By 2016, we will have strengthened our capacity to consistently deliver effective programs and services which preserve the integrity of competition, inspire true sport, and protect the rights of U.S. athletes. Over the next four years, we will pursue excellence and promote innovations which are strategic and readily adoptable by staff and stakeholders. Innovations will be designed to reduce the burden on athletes while maintaining our compliance with the WADA Code and International Standards and contribute towards the global fight against doping.
Strategy 1 – Develop and implement new and effective testing methodologies and scientific analysis
- Conduct sample collection in a focused and targeted manner resulting in more effective deterrence and detection
- Strengthen the capability within USADA to uncover and analyze cutting-edge intelligence about performance-enhancing drugs, trends, and practices
- Ensure that our anti-doping research and intelligence efforts are tightly integrated with our testing and educational programs
- Investigate new methods for sample collection in order to reduce the inconvenience of testing
Strategy 2 – Strengthen and enhance USADA technologies and processes
- Implement effective emerging technologies and processes in order to reduce the compliance burden on the athlete
- Create social engagement that allows for the viral dissemination, audience connection, and public awareness of True Sport
- Enhance the suite of USADA’s anti-doping management tools and reports
- Collaborate with the international community to enhance global anti-doping technologies and processes